Mother's Day is coming up (Sunday, May 10 to be exact) and that means only a few weeks for finding the perfect gift to express your love to your mom.
Here are a few budget-friendly, but thoughtful ideas:
1. Handmade Bath Oil: This is easy, inexpensive, but oh so luxurious! Mix a base oil (I prefer olive or almond) with nicely-scented essential oils. Lavender, rose, orange, lemon, and eucalyptus are all delicious, but select one that your mom will love. Mix about 1 cup base oil with 1 teaspoon of essential oil. Pour into a clean bottle, cap or cork, and tie a ribbon around the bottle neck.
2. Letter: Write your mom a letter and let her know how much she means to you...describe a fantastic favorite childhood memory...or explain what you learned from her . Don't type it! Write it out in your own handwriting. Use nice paper or embellish the paper with stickers or scrapbooking goodies. Frame the letter.
3. Personalized Music: make a CD or load up her mp3 player. Pair this with a list of the songs and a brief note about why you included that song. Some song ideas:
- Mother and Child Reunion - Paul Simon
- Mamas, Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys - Willie Nelson
- Teach Your Children - Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young
- Your Momma Don't Dance - Loggins and Messina
- Mama Said There'd Be Days Like This - The Shirelles
- Mama Said Knock You Out - LL Cool J
4. Childhood Photo: take a photo of you as a child and your mom...blown up into a large size (at least 8"x10") and have it framed. Do something fun like print it in black and white or add a fun effect with photo editing software. You can also get all sorts of items personalized with photos. I love the mugs, notebooks, and puzzles from Shutterfly .
5. Customized Jewelry: There are many ways to customize jewelry with items such as:
- Locket with photos or a little note
- Tiny frames that hold photos or keepsakes
- Children's birthstones
- Special moment or location mementos
If you need a little help with the customized jewelry option, let me know. I'd love to help you come up with a fantastic idea and then make it for your mom!